But then you TASTE it.
Afterall...with all the absolutely DIVINE things at a Lemon-themed Iron Chef...this cake won.
And it deserved to.
So don't judge a book by it's cover...or in this case, a sheet cake by it's rectangular shape. Just make it...and you'll see...
Lemon Buttermilk Sheet Cake
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup buttermilk, room temp
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon zest
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice (3 lemons)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 ¾ cups granulated sugar
- 12 Tbsp butter, softened
- 3 large eggs plus 1 large egg yolk, room temp
1. Preheat oven 325 degrees F. Grease and flour 13x9 inch pan.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, soda, and salt in medium bowl.
3. Combine buttermilk, lemon juice, and vanilla in large measuring cup.
4. In large bowl beat lemon zest with sugar until moist and fragrant (1 min.). Set aside ¼ cup of sugar mixture for later. Add butter to remaining sugar mixture and beat until light and fluffy (2 min.).
5. Beat in eggs and yolk until combined. Then mix in 1/3 of flour mixture, then half of buttermilk mixture. Repeat with half of remaining flour and all of remaining buttermilk mixture. Add remaining flour and mix until smooth.
6. Pour batter into pan, and bake until golden brown, 25-35 minutes, rotating pan halfway through. Then transfer to wire rack and cool for 10 minutes.
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp buttermilk
Whisk all ingredients until smooth. Gently spread glaze over warm cake and sprinkle evenly with the reserved sugar mixture from above. Let cake cool 2 hours. Serve.
courtesy Heather Wangeman