Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Iron Chef Pembroke Pines: April 2011 - Lemon Snowdrop Cookies

I actually made two things for Iron Chef...one was a total flop.

I mean...it was so bad I won't include pictures, recipes, and I will never, ever, EVER make it again.

I will, however, create my own, and infinitely BETTER, recipe for it to try another time.

The other thing I made were these cookies...and they were okay. Half my kids loved them, the other half didn't.

They remind me of Mexican Wedding cookies...but with lemon. And they are awfully pretty to look at...



Lemon Snow Drop Cookies
 

Ingredients


* 1 cup butter
* 1/2 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
* 1 teaspoon lemon extract
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup white sugar
* 2 tablespoons cornstarch
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup water
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 2 teaspoons lemon zest
* 3 tablespoons lemon juice
* 3 drops yellow food coloring


Directions 


1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degree C).
2. Cream 1 cup butter or margarine and 1/2 cup sifted confectioners' sugar. Add 2 cups flour, lemon extract, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; mix well.
3. Place about 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool.
(now...I should tell you that mine baked up in perfect balls...making them hard to make into sandwich cookies...so I smushed them slightly with a spatula when they came out of the oven, so they would be flatter).
4. Put together with filling. Roll in confectioners' sugar.

 To Make Filling: Mix 1/2 cup sugar, 2 Tablespoons cornstarch, and dash of salt. Add 1/2 cup water, 2 Tablespoons butter or margarine, 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind, 3 Tablespoons lemon juice, and 3 drops of yellow food coloring. Bring to rolling boil, stirring constantly; boil and stir 1 minutes. Cool. Frost flat side of one cookie and put together with another cookie, sandwich-like. Roll in confectioners' sugar.

courtesy Shannan Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment