Thursday, April 2, 2009

Costa Rican Beef and Chayote

Remember way back when, it my very first post, when I promised all the white girls out there that were afraid to visit the ethnic sections of their local grocer that I would slowly lead them down the path?

See - you know how I believe in easy recipes that EVERYBODY likes? Well - I believe that these recipes can include "exotic" ingredients, and still be easy, and quick, and delicious...and maybe even fun.

So tonight, we're going to introduce an ingredient...a vegetable...that I am willing to bet is new to most of you. It is called a chayote.


This is a chayote. Chayote is a tropical form summer squash about the size and shape of a pear. It is also called mirliton and christophene. It has deep lengthwise ridges and a center seed, like an avocado. I'm told that the harder the squash is, and the darker the green of the skin, the better the flavor is. To me, chayote has the consistency of a perfectly ripe and crisp apple, and in it's raw state tastes something like jicama or turnip.

Chayote has to be peeled, especially if it is large and the skin is tough. I use a vegetable peeler. I know some people prefer to peel it under running water because there is a sticky substance just under the skin that is a bit irritating (it disappears after cooking), but I've never had that problem (my chayotes are probably not big enough). Then I cut the chayote in half lengthwise, use my vegetable peeler to peel the skin in the little fold at the bottom, and use a medium-sized melon baller to extract the seed and tougher skin around the seed. From there, you can stuff it, dice it, or do anything you would normally do to a squash. I'm told they're excellent with cheese (I haven't tried yet...I always have some other crazy recipe for them to star in).

I got this recipe out of the March 2009 edition of Family Fun magazine. It turned out great. I didn't double, as I served it with lots of sides...refried beans, white rice, tortillas, and a tropical fruit cocktail (just a canned version that I chilled all day in the fridge).

Now - if you can't find chayote at your grocery store...don't freak. Substitute with zucchini. It'll work great. (I shouldn't hear this complaint from anyone here in South Florida...it is, after all, the Central and South American and Caribbean hub of the continental U.S.)

Enjoy!!


Costa Rican Beef and Chayote

2 TBS canola or olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3/4 cup diced green pepper
2 medium ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
(confession...I used half a can of diced tomatoes w/jalapenos because I was in a hurry and hate peeling tomatoes. Feel free to do the same)
2 TBS tomato paste
1 large chayote, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch dice, OR zucchini cut into 1/4-inch dice
1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
3 TBS finely chopped fresh cilantro

1. Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and saute, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 7 minutes. Stir in garlic and saute for a few more seconds.


2. Add the meat, curry powder, salt, and pepper to the mixture. Continue to saute until the meat is cooked through, breaking into small bits with your wooden spoon, about 3 minutes.

3. Add the green pepper, tomatoes, tomato paste, chayote, and corn. Lower the heat, cover, and cook until chayote is tender, about 15 minutes (zucchini will take about 5 minutes to cook).


4. Stir in cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Courtesy Family Fun magazine, March 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment