Thursday, April 16, 2009

Belgian Waffles (from scratch)

Okay - so there is some equipment you need before you do this...specifically a Belgian Waffle Maker. Once you have that...the rest is easy...

...and you'll never go back to Eggos again. (Leggo my WHAT?!?!?)

I make these for breakfast, but more often than not I make them for dinner. My kids LOVE having breakfast for dinner, because a normal morning breakfast usually consists of cold cereal and milk, maybe some Pop Tarts, or a toasted bagel. I taught my kids this past summer to make their own eggs, so quite frequently I'll find Joseph at the stove scrambling eggs for everyone...or making omelette's (or, as Nickels calls them, "comets").

Anyway - WHENEVER you serve these, be it breakfast or dinner (or dessert, in the case of my chocolate waffle recipe!)...

you'll leave the table fully satisfied.

This recipe makes about 6 "pairs" of waffles. My kids can eat 4 individual waffles each, so I often double or triple the recipe...

There are ENDLESS toppings for Belgian Waffles...tonight we're using fresh blackberries and powdered sugar, with sides of bacon and eggs, sunny-side up!!


Basic Waffles

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 cup milk
1 egg, separated

1. Sift dry ingredients together in a bowl.

2.Add egg yolks and milk to the dry ingredients and beat together thoroughly.

3. Beat egg white until stiff, stir 1/4 into batter to lighten it and then gently fold in remaining egg white. (DO NOT TAKE SHORTCUTS IN THIS STEP!!! It is essential to light and fluffy waffles!)

4. Pour scant 1/2 cup of batter onto heated waffle maker and cook to specifications (there's usually a little light or beeping sound that lets you know when the waffle is done.


courtesy me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment