Thursday, March 3, 2011

Chicken Ravioli Florentine with Lime-Kissed Fruit

My cute little Apron Simple Meals Recipes binder...


In Florida, we have this awesome supermarket called Publix. Publix is a very nice place to shop...especially if you have lots of coupons (which I usually do).

Nothing in the produce section is spoiled, or even overly handled.

Things are easy to find and clearly labeled.

Everyone is SUPER friendly...they answer questions, take you to items you can't find in the store instead of just pointing and saying something in a muffled voice like: "It's in aisle 9".

And they walk you to your car and unload your groceries for you, whether you ask them to or not.

They also have this cool thing where Monday through Friday, between 4 and 7pm, they do cooking demonstrations....part of their Publix Apron Simple Meals service. They have a recipe every week that's featured, and they make it and give you a taste, and then have all the ingredients you need to make the same recipe at home RIGHT THERE.

See? The recipes are cute, quick, and easy to understand...


And, all the recipes are easy, quick, and not very expensive.

It's awesome.

The recipes are free, and if you miss a few, that's okay, because they keep about 8 weeks worth on hand.

I've tried a few, but have yet to record any on my blog. This is my first...it's really good!!

I DID double this...but that's just because I feed an army.

Chicken Ravioli Florentine

  • 2-3 green onions
  • 1-1/2 cups water 
  • 1 (9 oz.) package fresh four-cheese ravioli (I actually used the frozen kind...so I needed more water and then had to drain it afterwards...but it worked fine)
  • 4 oz. pre-sliced fresh mushrooms (I bought whole Baby Bellas and sliced them myself...well, actually, I made Joseph do it...but still...it's slightly cheaper to buy whole)
  • 2 TBS butter
  • 1 (9 oz) pkg. cooked chicken strips (again...I cooked up four whole breasts and sliced myself...cheaper)
  • 1 TBS basil pesto
  • 2 TBS shredded Parmesan cheese, optional (ahhhh...no it's not...and I used A LOT more than that)
Chop green onions.

Combine water, ravioli, mushrooms, and butter in large saucepan, then cover; bring to a boil on high. When boiling, remove lid and reduce heat to medium-high; cook and stir 8-10 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. (See, if you use frozen, you'll have to use more water and then drain it off)

My butter, mushrooms, and somewhere in there, my ravioli...
Now...because I didn't use pre-cooked chicken breast strips, I had to pan-fry my own chicken and slice it up. More time consuming...less expensive...

Cluck Cluck
 Stir in onions, chicken, spinach, and pesto; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until spinach is tender. Sprinkle with cheese and serve.

Looks good, right?

 Then, the recipe also gives you a side dish...


Lime-Kissed Fruit

  • 3 oz frozen limeade concentrate (1/2 can)
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/2 tsp poppy seeds
  • 1-3/4 lb. produce fresh cut fruit (melons, pineapple, strawberries)
Place limeade in a salad bowl to thaw...and thaw COMPLETELY ( I didn't wait long enough, and when I added my honey...it froze it...so I had to defrost it all in the microwave. Rookie mistake.)

Whisk in honey and poppy seeds.

Add fruit; toss to coat. Chill until ready to serve.

It makes a really pretty dinner, right?
 courtesy Publix Apron Simple Meals

No comments:

Post a Comment