Thursday, March 3, 2011

Cauliflower Soup

I have sung the praises of Pioneer Woman many many times. I love her web-site, I love her humor, I love that shes a fellow ginger, and I love love love her cooking. 

I love it because it calls for real ingredients like BUTTER and CREAM...

I love it beacuse unlike most recipes, I never have to double it...

And I love it because my family will always eat whatever it is.

I've been craving a lot of soups lately...I guess it's winter-withdrawals, since it's not actually cold in the Jungle. And Pioneer Woman has one I've been dying to try...her Cauliflower Soup.

I made it almost exactly as she asks, with a couple additions made out of necessity, not necessarily creativity. It came out delish and creamy and served up even better as leftovers. Here it is:

Cauliflower Soup

Cauliflower Soup

  • 1 stick butter, divided
  • 1/2 whole onion, finely diced
  • 1 whole carrot, finely diced (I actually used 2)
  • 1 stalk celery, finely diced (used 2 again)
  • 1 to 2 whole cauliflower heads, roughly chopped (again...I used 2...sense a theme here?)
  • 2 TBS fresh parsley, chopped
  • 2 quarts (boxes) low-sodium chicken stock or broth
  • 6 TBS all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 1 cup half-and-half
  • 2 to 4 tsp salt, to taste (went with 2)
  • 1 cup (heaping) sour cream, room temperature
 In a large saucepan or dutch oven, melt 4 TBS butter. Add onion and cook for a few minutes, or until it starts to turn brown.

Add carrots and celery and cook an additional couple minutes. Add cauliflower and parsley and stir to combine.

All the delicious veggies...

Cover and cook over low heat for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, pour in chicken stock or broth. (Now...here's where I deviated. See, I used the Swanson Chicken Stock...but there's only about 3-1/2 cups per box, so I substituted what was missing with vegetable broth. Not a big substitution...but still....)

Good stuff, but a little short...

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer.

In a medium saucepan, melt 4 TBS butter. Mix the flour with the milk and whisk to combine. Add flour-milk mixture slowly to butter, whisking constantly.

Oh my...all that butter and cream...

Remove from heat and stir in one cup of half-and-half. Add mixture to the remaining simmering soup. Allow to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes (I did 20).

Check seasoning and add more salt and pepper if necessary.

Just before serving, place sour cream  in a serving bowl or soup tureen. Add two to three ladles of hot soup into the tureen and stir to combine with the sour cream. Pour in remaining soup and stir.

When someone says "heaping"...I generally take their word for it...

Serve immediately. (Yes, ma'am!!)

It was hard to take this shot because all I wanted to do was EAT!!

This really is an amazing soup. We served it with Colombian bread from the latin bakery on the corner...it was delicious. 

Pioneer Woman recommends making it right away.
 
I second that.


It feels winter-y and warm...my happy place is sated...
courtesy www.thepioneerwoman.com

No comments:

Post a Comment