Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Summer Chicken Salad Sandwiches

I AM BACK!!!

I have been gone so long...first because I felt sad and silly about posts without pictures, and then because I went on vacation, and THEN because I had surgery. But now I am back...with a NEW camera...and I have made my first meal post-surgery...and I thought I'd share it with you.

I needed something easy that wouldn't keep me on my feet too long and wouldn't upset my still slightly delicate post-surgery stomach. So I turned to a recipe I've been meaning to try, that my dear sister-in-law Tara sent to me way back in June...called Summer Chicken Salad Sandwiches.

Now...I actually didn't double this, as it was just me and 4 of my kids at home...so you do as you feel you need to, okay?


Summer Chicken Salad Sandwiches

1 can (8-1/4 oz) crushed pineapple, undrained
1 8 oz. pkg cream cheese (you can use the light stuff if you want), softened
2 cups cooked cubed chicken


1 8 oz. can water chesnuts, drained
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup slivered almonds (toasted or glazed...I bought some of those glazed aalmond-pecan mixes that you get in the pre-packaged salad section of the produce department)
1/4 tsp salt
Dash of pepper
8 pita pocket halves
Shredded romaine

1. Drain 1/4 cup liquid from pineapple into small bowl. Add cream cheese; mix until well blended.

2. Add remaining pineapple and liquid, chicken, drained water chesnuts, celery, 1/4 cup almonds, and salt and pepper. Mix lightly; chill.


3. Layer pitas with shredded romaine, and fill with salad mix. (You can also use crusty rolls, if you prefer). Sprinkle with remaining almonds.


courtesy Tara Bennett

1 comment:

  1. This I want to try...it looks delicious, fun, and different.

    ReplyDelete