Thursday, May 21, 2009

German Potato Salad


Yes - it is time for yet another summer potato salad recipe. Since I've already introduced you to the classic American Potato Salad, I thought we'd go traveling abroad and try German Potato Salad. I got this recipe as a newlywed from a lady I worked with. I don't remember her name...I think it started with a "G"...Gloria? Gina? Genvieve?

ANYWAY -

The cool thing about THIS particular potato salad is that it is served warm...and was a perfect compliment to the Country-Style Beef Spare Ribs we had for dinner.

Don't double because it makes A LOT...just Enjoy!!


German Potato Salad

Salad:

5 lbs of potatoes (I used reds), cooked, sliced, and salted
(I cubed mine to make it easier for my kids to handle...but they SHOULD be sliced)
1/2 pound of bacon, cooked crisp and WITH drippings
1 onion, finely chopped (again..I used a red...because it's what I had)
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/4 chopped green pepper

Sauce:

2 TBS corn starch
2 cups water
3/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup vinegar ( I used Apple Cider, but white would be just fine)
1 tsp salt

1. Put cooked potatoes in a large bowl. Pour bacon and drippings over potatoes. Add other vegetables.

2. For sauce, boil ingredients until clear and thickened. Pour over potatoes. Cover and let stand awhile before mixing. Serve warm.


courtesy me (and some long forgotten co-worker with a "G" name)

No comments:

Post a Comment