Saturday, November 14, 2009

Stuffed and Baked Acorn Squash

This recipe has been adapted from several others and made my own. I claim it. It is one of my favorite things to eat in the fall...I literally cannot get enough...and I want to share it with the masses because I am feeling uncharacteristically generous today...

On a side note: This is NOT my hubbys favorite dish. He calls it "chick food". So that means more for me...and the kids...

On a sider note: This can be a side dish OR an entree...it depends on how you serve it. Tonight it was our entree, served with a spinach salad and a hearty shepherds bread. But I've served it both ways...


Stuffed and Baked Acorn Squash
-
2 medium acorn squash, halved and seeded
4 large baking apples, peeled, cored, and diced (I use Granny Smiths)
1 ripe pear, peeled, cored, and diced
1 pound sausage (preferably Italian sweet or chorizo)
4 TBS dark brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
4 TBS butter
1/4 cup apple cider
1 TBS dark rum (optional)
-
1. Preheat oven to 325. Butter a baking pan. Place acorn squash in baking dish CUT SIDE DOWN. Add 1/4 inch hot water to pan. Bake for 45 minutes.
-
2. Meanwhile, brown and drain sausage. Set aside.
-
3. In a large bowl, mix apples, pear, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. In a large skillet, melt 4 TBS butter. Add apple mixture and cook until fruit is golden brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in cider and rum. Simmer, stirring often, until the fruit is tender, about 8 minutes. Add sausage and heat through, being careful not to overcook the sausage.
-
4. Remove squash from oven; pour off water from pan and turn squash cut side up. Fill squash with apple/sausage mixture. Bake until squash is tender, about 15 minutes more.
-
Viola!
-
courtesy me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment