Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Corn and Frank Chowder

Sometimes dinner is about what's fast, easy, or readily available.

Sometimes dinner is about what time of year it is, or reflects the weather outside.

Sometimes dinner is about the company you keep.

Sometimes dinner is about the event or holiday you're celebrating.

Sometimes dinner is about how you feel (can anyone say "comfort food?").

And sometimes, dinner is about peace. Having everyone eat the same thing at the same time.

This is especially true with kids. My kids are pretty good about the whole "I-made-it-and-you're-gonna-eat-it" rule in our house. And so, because of this, and because they are subjected to my kitchen experiments, I think it's only fair to include things I know they love on the menu.

When I make up my menu for two weeks, I always include things that I know EVERYBODY likes...things like Macaroni n' Cheese Casserole, Grilled Cheese and Soup, Breakfast for Dinner, or Spaghetti and Meatballs. These things are easy, timeless, and universally appealing to kids of all ages. And, they carry the bonus of being the least expensive things on my grocery list.

One of those kid-friendly, amazing recipes I got from my sister-in-law, Tara. She got it from her mother-in-law, Kay. Kay raised 10 children on a military wife's budget in the 60's and 70's. That's right...TEN.

This is a recipe she used to satisfy all those hungry little mouths on a military base while her hubby fought in Vietnam and Korea for our country. It is wholly American...even in spirit. This, like all chowders and stews, goes great with biscuits. And if you need to add the color green, think veggie platter with dip...just to keep with the whole kid-friendly theme (I've found kids will eat most any vegetable as long as Ranch dressing is involved).

Enjoy!!


Corn and Frank Chowder

1 cup celery slices
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup ground oatmeal flour (put oatmeal in blender and grind to make flour)
2 cups milk
3 to 4 Frankfurters, sliced (don't you love the old-time word for "hot dogs"?)
1 can whole kernel corn
2 tsp prepared mustard
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

- Saute celery in butter in medium saucepan. Blend in oat flour.

-Gradually add milk; continue cooking over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened.

-Reduce heat; add meat, corn, and mustard.

-Continue cooking over low heat about 5 minutes.

-Remove from heat; add cheese, mixing well until well blended.

courtesy Kay Bennett

No comments:

Post a Comment