Friday, February 6, 2009

Capellini Caprese

My recipes are easy. They are knock-offs. That's the way I like 'em. This one is no exception.

Most people find it challenging to make a meal that is vegetarian. The EASIEST way is to focus on pastas. So here is our dinner for tonight...a vegetarian friendly pasta dish that is fresh and easy.

Just so you know - with a big family and limited income, I can't afford to shop at specialty grocery stores. I LOVE Whole Foods, and Trader Joes, and even Vons and Publix...but they are usually out of budget. I get 50% of my groceries at Wal-Mart (yes - it's true), and another 50% at CostCo. All my meat, most of my produce, bread, frozen stuff, and snacks come from CostCo. Dairy, dry goods, and things I only need a little of (and the not the super-industrial-feed-a-small-country amount), I get at Wal-Mart.

I just didn't want you to think that spend a lot of money. I don't. Not that this recipe would make you think that I do. It's pretty much a, "Hmmmm...what do I have leftover in the pantry?" kinda recipe. When thinking up sides...keep with the light-and-fresh-pasta theme...a fresh spinach salad instead a heavily garnished traditional green salad, breadsticks instead of thickly buttered garlic bread. Or skip the bread all together and whip up some brushetta. Easy-peasey.

I double this recipe, as it serves 4 people with 1-1/2 cup servings...and I am feeding 7 people.


Capellini Caprese

1/2 lb capellini or spaghetti, uncooked
1/2 cup Kraft Tuscan House Italian Dressing and Marinade
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced

(dirty little secret...to save time, I buy the big jars of pre-minced garlic. Purists will rage at me - and I understand. I do. I used to be you. And then I had 5 children)

3 cups halved grape or cherry tomatoes
1 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
1/3 cup fresh basil, finely sliced

- Cook pasta according to package directions

- Meanwhile, heat dressing in non-stick skillet on med-high heat. Add onions and garlic, cook and stir 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, cook 5 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally

- Drain pasta. Add tomato mixture; mix lightly. Sprinkle with cheese and basil.


Courtesy Kraftfoods.com

No comments:

Post a Comment