Saturday, February 19, 2011

Carrot Coconut Soup

Today was a busy day...I spent all day at the Renaissance Festival with my little Daisy Scouts. We were there from 10am until 4pm...thats a LONG day in the hot sun with little 5- and 6-year-old girls.

We had a great time, but by time I got back, I was EXHAUSTED.

And, of course, as soon as I walked in the door, the kids that got left at home started clambering for dinner.

My first instinct was to go get pizza. I had my sunglasses on my head and my keys in my hand.

But then...I thought about what pizza would do to my diet. See...pizza is one of those "trigger foods" for me...if it's around...I HAVE to have it. And I can never stop at one slice...I can easily polish 4 or 5 slices in one sitting...sometimes more if it's really good and there's a big selection to choose from. Pizza isn't my only "tigger food"...but it is a MAJOR one...

I've done SO WELL on my eating since my Master Cleanse shock treatment...having pizza would just BLOW IT.

So...despite my exhaustion and my childrens' impatience, I came back inside and put my keys in the basket and my sunglasses on the desk, and went to my fridge to make a delicious and satisfying dinner.

I knew what it would be, too. Something delightful that was made at our December Iron Chef...where the secret ingredient was "coconut".

Sherrie McKenna made a Carrot Coconut Soup...and as far as I'm concerned, it should've won.

It didn't win, though...there were three winners that day...I won "Most Original" with THIS...

Coconut Chicken Avocado Bites

And Valerias friend, Sonja, was another winner in the "Best Taste" with THIS entry...

Coconut Candies dipped in sugar (note: DO NOT EAT CLOVE!!)


And Valeria herself won "Best Presentation" with THIS...

I don't remember what this is called...but it's a Brazilian dish made with coconut milk and cornstarch and served with stewed prunes...very very pretty...and Valerias favorite dessert from her childhood...but not my favorite...


Sherrie didn't win...but in my mind, she should have. Hers was my FAVORITE entry that month...and I've been DYING to make it myself.

Incidentally, this soup is completely vegan...so serve it with pride.

So here it is...

Be prepared to chop LOTS of carrots...


Carrot Coconut Soup

12 large carrots, peeled and chopped small
2 medium onions, chopped small
4 tsp fresh ginger, minced
4 and 1/2 tsp curry powder
6 cups vegetable broth (essentially a box and a half)
2 14 oz. cans coconut milk
sea salt, to taste
lime wedges

1. Simmer the carrots, onion, ginger, and curry powder in vegetable broth until carrots are SUPER soft...about 20-25 minutes

I hate the florescent lighting in my kitchen...everything looks yellow-er (is that a word?)


2. Allow to cool slightly, and then puree in blender, working in batches, if needed (you DO need to, by the way...so have an extra pot or bowl close by)

3. Return to heat and slowly add coconut milk, stirring constantly, until combined. Do NOT let boil again...just heat through.

4. Season with sea salt to taste

5. Serve warm with lime wedges to add extra kick, or chill and serve cold on hot summer days.

Yummy Yummy Yummy...


Note: Soup will thicken as it cools, so be prepared to add extra liquid if necessary.

This thick and creamy soup is excellent served with crusty bread...it's GREAT for dipping!!




Ya know...as a child I wouldn't eat carrots. My father told me they'd make my hair redder, and being that I was always teased in school for being a ginger, redder hair is the LAST thing I wanted. Had I not already been cured of this silly childhood phobia...I guaruntee this soup would've done the trick!!

courtesy Sherrie McKenna

No comments:

Post a Comment