Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Grilled Italian Sausage and Peppers

After a long day of grocery shopping and errands, this is the perfect no-fuss dinner. I like it best 'cause I don't cook it. My hubby is the Grill Master in our home...and there is nothing more manly than a man and his grill. Just standing next to the grill is intimidating for a girl like me...there is WAY too much testosterone emanating from it. But my man is right at home....


We made a couple changes to this recipe that were born out of our location. It's kinda hard to find those hard brat rolls here in sunny South Florida. So we improvised, getting big, soft Bolillo Rolls and slicing them halfway through for our sausages. I LOVED the soft, chewy texture. It was WAY better than Brat Rolls. My only complaint was that we bought the smaller Hot Links Italian sausages, as we noticed that our kids had trouble eating a big 'ol LumberJack Smoked Italian Sausage last time, and there was a lot of waste.

I don't like food waste. It's a pet peeve of Jasons', too - being that he runs a multi-million dollar restaurant and all.

The problem with waste is not only that I feel like it's money AND food wasted, but that I feel I have to make up for it by finishing my kids food for them. Jason helps. And while his metabolism can handle it, mine can not. Hence my beach ball figure.

Anyway - back to the sausage complaint...Bolillo Rolls are BIG...bigger and fluffier than Brat Rolls. So they actually would've cradled a LumberJack Smoked Italian Sausage perfectly. But the smaller Hot Links we purchased got kinda lost in the bread. At least it was really good bread, and no one complained. And my kids were able to polish a whole one off. Kate even had two.


Sides should stick with the whole grillin' theme - we had corn-on-the-cob and baked beans. Our new favorite baked beans are the Bush's Grillin Beans , Bourbon and Brown Sugar Flavor. YUM.

(And yes - I know how to make baked beans from "scratch", but I get the same results {almost} with Bush's, and it saves so much time that I am totally cool with the substitute.)

Double for bigger families or extra-hungry people...



Grilled Italian Sausage and Grilled Peppers

2 medium bell peppers (red, green, yellow or orange), cut into strips
1 med. onion, sliced
1/4 cup Italian dressing
4 Italian Smoked Sausages...big LumberJack ones, or smaller Johnsonville ones, or if you're really healthy, try those Boca Meatless Italian Sausages
4 Brat Rolls, or, in my case, Bolillo Rolls

1. Preheat grill to medium heat. Make a foil pouch out of heavy duty aluminum foil, and place peppers, onions, and dressing inside. Close pouch tightly. (You can also buy ready-made foil pouches for grilling...but I usually just use what I have).


2. Grill 15 minutes or until veggies are soft and juicy, turning bag at least once to get all sides. Meanwhile, grill sausage as directed on package.


3. Fill sliced buns/rolls with sausage and peppers. Add other condiments as desired, like shredded cheddar and the usual relish.

Viola! It's dinner!!


No comments:

Post a Comment